Updated: Jun 15
TELL US YOUR ROTARACT STORY!
Every Rotaractor has a story. It’s probably the reason you joined Rotaract, or at least why you continue to stay - to nurture that story.
Pilipinas Rotaract Multi-District Information Organization created the Ang Balangay platform to give people like you a place to share your story. By doing so, you help us increase the public’s understanding of what we stand for and the impact we make. We welcome story contributions from any Filipino Rotaractor.
Send your story as a word document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject ANG BALANGAY STORY CONTRIBUTION - ARTICLE/BLOG TITLE.
GUIDELINES FOR ARTICLES/BLOGS
1) Keep it short. Articles/blogs should be 300 to 400 words and be about one topic or idea.
2) Articles/blogs should be written for a wide audience and avoid jargon or technical language. Write like you speak using conversational language to explain things clearly, and include specific examples to illustrate a point.
3) If submitting an article featuring a club or district project, write in the third person.
If submitting a blog post talking about a personal encounter, write in the first person “I’ voice and include personal observations, impressions or reflections. The best articles/blogs tell a story that will inspire other people to want to know more about Rotaract and get involved.
4) Write for an online audience. Online attention spans are short, and readers scan a page more than they read word-by-word. For articles, give the key details: who, what, where, when, and why. For blogs, employ scannable tactics such as: Short paragraphs (one idea a paragraph), Short sentences, Highlighted keywords, Sub-headings, Bulleted lists.
5) Be direct. Most blog readers decide if an entry is worth reading in just a few seconds. State your main point in the beginning of your post and include supporting information in subsequent paragraphs.
6) Encourage reader interaction by providing a clear call to action, such as asking readers to post their thoughts in the comments section or to share the piece on social media with their networks.
Sample Calls to Action
With Rotaract, you will find countless opportunities to create meaningful change in your community and around the world.
Share an idea for your community.
Volunteer for a project in your community.
Support a cause that you care about.
Learn more about how you can join people of action and strengthen your community through Rotaract.
Article/blog contributions may be edited for clarity and brevity. While we encourage contributions, we may not be able to publish every submission we receive. However, following these guidelines will improve your chances considerably.
GUIDELINES FOR PHOTOS
Photos add interest to an article/blog post. To submit photos, follow these steps:
2) Create a Google Drive Folder inside with the folder name format: <RAC> <CLUB NAME> <ARTICLE/BLOG TITLE> Example: RAC MANILA LITER OF HOPE
3) Right click to the created folder then click Get Shareable Link
4) Include the generated link to your email on article/blog contribution
Please ensure you have the rights to use submitted photos.
Tips for Photos
1) Our photos focus on relationships and community impact, and they should always tell a genuine story. Whenever possible, use images that show multiple Rotaractors and reflect our diversity.
2) Always get permission from anyone pictured in photos or videos used for Rotaract purposes. When possible, get written consent to include the name of the subject and a statement that says they agree to being recorded and that the person recording them may use the recording. Get written permission from parents or guardians of any children pictured in the photos. If the photograph or video is taken by someone else, have that person license it to your club and make sure the subjects grant permission for you to use their images or voices.
3) Our photography focuses on Rotaractors actively engaged in our work, our relationships, and our community. They should always tell a genuine story of impact. Images should be powerful and inspiring and motivate the public by showing what makes Rotaract special. We recommend using photos that are in a documentary style (with subjects who aren’t posed) to accomplish this goal.